Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Dragonfly Thank You Card

This week's theme over at CARD A DAY BLOG is "Thank You" cards.
As the featured designer for January 18th, I decided to use up some scraps and try something new.
The "new" is the dragonfly outline sticker.  I've had this pack for a few years and decided it was time to use it!  First thing I did was select the scraps I wanted to use....four coordinating papers.  I took a plain white piece of scrap cardstock and put the dragonfly sticker on it.  Using Distress Inks and a waterpen, I inked the area around the dragonfly to match my papers.  I wanted the dragonfly to stand out so I used LuminArte Twinkling H2Os on it for some nice shimmer. 
 Once the H2Os were dry, I added a coat of Glossy Accents to the body of the dragonfly which made it more dimensional.  Below is a close up of the face of the card.  You can see that I used Vintage Photo DI all around the various layers of the card. 
Supplies:
*White cardstock (5.5" x 8.5" folded) plus scrap piece (2.75" x 3.25")
*Four coordinating pieces of scrap designer paper cut into these sizes:  4.25" x 5.5", 1.75" x 5.25", 3" x 3.5", 3.5" x 1.5", 3.25" x .5"
*Anita's Art Stamps Outline Stickers "Dragonflies"
*Inks:  Distress Inks (In colors that match your paper.  Use at least three different colors in the background) plus Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain
*LuminArte' Twinkling H2Os:  Wintermint & Plumeria
*Glossy Accents
*Gold rub-on sentiment
*Glue stick, tape runner, waterpen
To Make Card:
1.  Cut pieces of cardstock and designer paper.
2.  Attach sticker to white cardstock scrap
3.  Using Distress Inks and waterpen, create background on white scrap.  Using Twinkling H2Os and waterpen, color in dragonfly.  Once dry, add Glossy Accents to body.
4.  Use Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain DIs on all pieces of paper.
5.  Rub sentiment on 3.25" x .5" strip.
6.  Attach all pieces to the 4.25" x 5.5" paper as shown and then glue to folded card base.

This card is entered into the following Challenges:
Crafty Card Makers--#59 No Floral Embellishments
Divas by Design--#18 Thanks

13 comments:

Backyard Nature said...

BEAUTIFUL!! I love painting with the DIs too and yours is just gorgeous! Great job!
Sandy

Mynn xx said...

Oh, wow! This took my breath away! Your dragonfly card is soooo gorgeous! Thank you for joining us this week at CCM! :)

Unknown said...

Very, very nice!! Hadn't even thought about painting with DI's!! OK, now you have me thinking!! Great job -tfs!

Art By Wanda said...

Your background is beautiful!!! The shading by the dragonfly is wonderful!!!

Bunnyfreak said...

Do you apply the water pen directly to the distress ink pad?

Lynn said...

Beautiful! I also love working with DI!

Paper Squirrel said...

Very pretty. The dragonfly really pops!

Scrapcat 1 said...

This was made with scraps! wow it looks amazing I love the colours you have used on the dragonfly as it really stands out from the papers.
Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers and we hope to see you again soon.

Tina Campbell said...

Love the colors and the dragonfly just pops off the mat. TFS

J said...

An unusual and subtle colour combination and the dragonfly really sets the card off. Thank you for sharing it with us at Crafty Cardmakers.

Jackie

Sarah-Jane said...

Great card. I love the colours you have used. Thank you for joining us at Divas by Design.
Sarah-Jane xx

Creative Genie said...

Oops, thought I commented days ago, but I guess I was interrupted at the time. Love this card, Cindy. The colors are so fresh, and the dragonfly adds just the right amount of sparkling color!

Christine

Feebsy said...

Wow I can't believe you created this with scraps! I really like the background papers you've chosen and the dragonfly looks beautiful.

Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Cardmakers.

Feebsy
xx